Thank you, to all the children and parents who participated in this year’s Thanksgiving Week Kids Camp!
The camp was held on the Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday, leading up to Thanksgiving. It gave children the opportunity to spend more time in the dojo to explore other engaging activities that coincide with Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, self defense, and teamwork. The camp also gave our instructors the opportunity to connect with the children in an even more meaningful fashion than just learning and practicing BJJ.
Even though we had a scheduled agenda before the children arrived each day; we stepped out of the agenda and followed the interests of the children. Each day started with games and free play, to let the children socialize and become more comfortable with each other. That led to learning the basic and foundational movements and positions of BJJ. The campers expressed what they were thankful for by making cards and drawing pictures for their families. And we had plenty of snack breaks to feed our hungry learners!
Chess seemed to be the most interesting daily activity for the group. For over an hour the children worked harmoniously together, as they helped each other setting up the Chessboard and learning how the pieces moved. We worked on game-planning and strategies. Does that sound like some familiar concepts we use for another game?
Yes! The camp was structured around getting each student to THINK. Not only about what they were thankful for, but that their actions have consequences, how to work together in groups or with a partner, and that the cross over between chess, jiujitsu and other activities off the mat.
El Dorado Hills Jiu Jitsu
El Dorado Hills Brazilian Jiu Jitsu & Self Defense is hosting a Kids camp during Thanksgiving week. The kids camp will include several different activities for kids ages 7 and up. NO JIU JITSU EXPERIENCE NECESSARY!
What will the kids do:
- CHESS: Chess is jiujitsu for the mind. Through chess coaches will be talking to the kids about following rules, knowing limitations, decisions having consequences, and other life skills that can be shared and learned through the fun activity of chess. Don’t know how to play? No problem, we will teach you!
- JIU-JITSU for ANTI BULLYING: Bullying is always going to be an issues kids need to learn and think about. The more tools they have to deal with verbal, psychological, and physical altercations the better they will be. We will be covering each topic and going over how to diffuse and defend difficult altercations.
- JAPANESE GAMES: Campers will be exposed to Japanese language and culture lessons to invoke a curiosity for different cultures and languages. They won’t leave the camp fluent in another language, but hopefully they will become more curious about different cultures and have an interest in learning another language in the future.
- THANKFULNESS ACTIVITIES: Campers will be asked to think about what they are thankful for. Thankfulness and gratitude is a character trait we look to reinforce from the time during this camp.
- GAMES & PLAY: Campers will be playing a game of some type if they are not taking a snack break or participating in one of the activities. The games will vary from dodgeball, gymnastics, and more. (plan on giving them time to nap after camp)
Call for questions or register online!
EDH Kids Camp
Spring is a time of change. El Dorado Hills Brazilian Jiu Jitsu will be hosting the 2016 Spring Belt Promotions on Tuesday, March 1st.
Belt promotions are done differently at each school, in EDH we celebrate the occasion by saying a few things about each student when they change belts. Many students overcome many different obstacles and triumphs to earn their belt and the ceremony is an appropriate occasion to share each story.
Along with a new belt comes new challenges. These challenges can only be overcome with the training of a team of people that are willing to help one another. As people change their belts, it’s great to see their friends, training partners, and family who were there with them supporting their training. We hope to see everyone on Tuesday night in their best gi!